Have you been charged with a criminal offence?
We understand that this is a time of stress and worry. You need to know what to do and the steps to take to reduce the impact on your life, your livelihood and your family.
One of the first steps in the right direction is getting the right criminal law advice.
Our team of criminal defence lawyers has extensive experience in all facets of criminal law. As a leader amongst criminal law firms in Perth, Kate King Legal offers extensive expertise and experience in the following areas of practice:
- Drug offences (Importation and manufacturing of drugs, possess prohibited drugs with intent to sell and supply, Possession of drugs and drug paraphernalia, Cultivation of prohibited plants)
- Common assaults, Serious assaults, Assault occasioning bodily harm, Grievous bodily harm, Unlawful wounding, Unlawful assault causing death
- Murder, Manslaughter, Armed robbery
- Arson, Criminal Damage
- Stealing, Fraud, Bribery, Conspiracy, Extortion
- Burglary, Robbery, Trespass
- Firearms, weapons and ammunition offences
- Sex offences (sexual penetration, indecent dealing, indecent assault)
- Possession and distribution of child pornography
- Possession stolen or unlawfully obtained property
- Threats, Deprivation of liberty
- Disorderly conduct, Breach of court orders
- Commonwealth offences such as Centrelink fraud, Customs offences, Drug importation
- Workplace Health and Safety investigations and prosecutions
We frequently appear in the Magistrates Court, Children’s Court, District Court, Supreme Court and Court of Appeal.
We are also able to accept Legal Aid matters from all of the panels on all criminal matters, and can assist you with your application for Legal Aid.
We can also assist with Bail Applications and Spent Conviction Order applications.
If someone is in custody, we can arrange for a criminal lawyer or barrister to make a bail application. Usually made in the Magistrates Court, bail applications can also be made in the Supreme Court depending on issues which may include a previous unsuccessful bail application.
Spent Conviction Orders
A criminal record can have long term adverse consequences on your future employment and travel plans. Even if you are guilty as charged you may be able to obtain a “spent conviction”. This means that in most cases you are not required to declare that conviction when asked if you have any previous convictions.
We are also able to assist in applications for spent convictions for serious offences once the requisite time period has elapsed.
Negotiations with the Police or the Prosecution
Many people are incorrectly charged. Our criminal lawyers regularly enter into negotiations with the Police or the Prosecution to have charges down-graded or withdrawn. If the charges are dismissed and you are represented by a lawyer, you may be able to obtain your legal costs from the Police. Our lawyers regularly seek costs against the Police when charges are dismissed.
We are passionate about criminal law and provide a professional yet sympathetic approach to your matter. We understand any legal situation can be a very difficult time for you and your loved ones, which is why we take the time to explain all aspects of the legal process.